Does Ventorlin and Maxtra help stop a child from coughing?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
My 13 months old daughter has started coughing today. Please suggest.
We have syrup Ventorlin and Maxtra available with us which were prescribed to her 2-3 weeks back when she was having cough and cold just in case we can use those syrup readily available with us right now.
xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Possibly due to viral cause.
Irrespective of treatment it may last for 7 days.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due an allergic component. Treatment is supportive and usually comprises of anti-allergic medication and mucolytic. The blocked nose is also due to the same cause. Giving Montair LC Kid (Monteleukast + Levocetirizine, prescription medicine) should help. Cetirizine is an over the counter alternative that can also be given instead. Maxtra is another alternative that can be given. You can give Ventorlin, if there is wheezing or respiratory distress, not otherwise

Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. A blood allergy test would need to be done in that situation. Desensitization therapy based on the reports should help.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
Hi Doctor, thanks for your reply. one more query...she has not started walking yet though she tries to walk by holding my hand or takes 3-4 steps independently by running towards me from other end but, she seems to be afraid while doing that. Shall we do something to make her walk or she will learn it in sometime? As of now she is 13 months. Also, she speaks some syllables like ma ma ma ma ...or ta ta ta ta...but, not anything specific till now. Is she ok in terms of development as compared to other children of same age group? thanks. Regards, xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Overall normal

Detailed Answer:

Hi

Sorry for the inadvertent delay in responding. I would need to ask if the baby was born preterm. If yes, I would consider the developmentally normal and nothing to be concerned about. A baby is supposed to be able to stand without support by 12 months from the expected date of delivery. Gradually proper walking would ensue.
The speech development is normal.

Dr. Diptanshu Das,
Pediatrician