Does Varicella vaccination have any effect on the fetus?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I got my mmr and varicella shot on July 7, 2016 not pregnant. Me and my husband are trying to have a baby, and we conceived on the 22, a few weeks later i got a postive test. Will my baby be OK? I didn't wait very long not knowing we had to wait at least a month?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the baby will most likely be just fine

Detailed Answer:
The reason for the one month wait is just a precaution. The varicella vaccine is a live attenuated (weakened) virus. Because of this no one will ever test it on pregnant women.
The answer is that we just do not know if it is safe so to be on the safe side they advise women to wait a month.
No one could guarantee you 100 percent that your baby will be perfect but the greatest likelyhood is that this immunization will not harm your baby.
See your obstetrician as soon as possible and let them know that this has happened.
Make sure that you are taking a prenatal vitamin with folate.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Dr. Robinson