Does Vancomycin help treat Clostridium difficile infection?
needs treatment, it is one of the recommended antibiotics for it
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
No, it is not more harmful though I understand your line of thinking.
Clostridium occurs as a result of disturbance of the normal bacterial flora in the colon. There are some bacteria in the colon that are protective. After this the clostridium bacteria is ingested (it is present from different sources) and starts to cause problems.
The bacteria has to be treated.
The disturbance of the flora is more common with certain types of antibiotics.
Vancomycin is recommended for treatment of this particular infection especially if it is severe or there is an associated medical condition.
There are other antibiotics that are used for mild infections
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can flora q 2 cure clostridium difficile infection ?
- Will bicillin l a treat clostridium difficile associated diarrhea ?
- Can dificid cure clostridium difficile infection ?
- Clostridium difficile infection prevention
- Will flagyl iv treat clostridium difficile infection ?
- Clostridium difficile dizziness
- Is penicillin vk used in the treatment of clostridium difficile infection ?
- Clostridium difficile colofac
- Clostridium difficile pregnancy
- Will flagyl treat clostridium difficile infection ?