Does Valium cause drowsiness and increased sleep?
Yes the drug can help
Hello thanks for asking from HCM
Valium 5 mg is Diazepam and the drug can help in sleeping. But as you are 75 years old so at this age the drug might increase risk of sedation in day time so use the drug under proper supervision of a psychiatrist only.
Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again
I thank you for the reply.However i want to inform you that i am taking valium for last 5 years and it seems that my body system developed tolerence and that it require an additional 5mg of valium with a total of 10mg of valium to get sleep. This has resulted in sedation during day times. So i intially would like to reduce valium to 5mg and thereafter to completly stop taking valium once for all. Kindly suggest a suitable programme to attain this goal so as to get rid of addiction to valium.
Thanks And Regards
Reduce the doses of drug gradually.
Hello Mr. XXXX, thanks for asking a follow up question
Valium is a long acting benzodiazepine drug and it is relatively easy to reduce the doses of drug. I'd advise you to try to reduce the dose by about 20-25% (roughly 2.5 mg) every 2 weeks and then stopping completely at about 8-10 weeks. After that you can use the drug in 2.5-5 mg doses on SOS basis. Other medicines like Gabapentin or Pregabalin can help to reduce the restlessness due to reducing the dose. This will help in good sleep also. You can think of this schedule for tapering the doses. Please talk to your doctor for prescription of the drugs I've mentioned.
Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to ask again for more doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does benicar cause drowsiness
- Does cetirizine cause drowsiness
- Does clarinex cause drowsiness
- Does sertraline cause drowsiness
- Does lorazepam cause drowsiness
- Does zoloft cause drowsiness
- Does guaifenesin cause drowsiness
- Taking proper sleep feeling drowsy underlying cause
- Does imitrex cause drowsiness
- Drowsiness causes
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?