Does Trazodone interact with Oxycodone?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: Can I take oxycodone/acetaminophen along with trazadone to help me sleep
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you'd better avoid it

Detailed Answer:

trazodone may interact with oxycodone and cause the serotonin syndrome. This is a serious disorder that may sometimes be even fatal. Thankfully this syndrome is very rare. Most patients won't experience any problems with the combination but you'd better avoid it.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 48 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. Since I just started the trazadone last night at 100 mg dose (my Dr advice) what's your thoughts on this dose? Dr said I could go up to 150 mg.. Do you know of a medication that would work better?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the dosage is OK

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

150mg is OK. You can go up to 300mg per day but I would not advise you to do so. Benzodiazepines is an alternative but you've already tried that. You can also have a look at melatonin and similar drugs. They're not very potent in sleep induction but they may be helpful to some patients.

Kind Regards!