Does Tarceva help in treating small lung cancer?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Lung Cancer
Question: I've been taking N-TENSE for non small lung cancer for about 1 & 1/2 months. About a week ago, a CT scan revealed that the large tumor in my left lung was reduced 30%. Will Tarceva help me even more? Other suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, tarceva will help you further.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
Since your tumour size is reduced to 30% after starting chemotherapy , this suggests that your non small cell lung carcinoma (NSLC) is highly chemo sensitive.
And chemo sensitive malignancy has good prognosis.
So tarceva will be more beneficial to you.
Regarding other suggestions
1. Do regular consultation with your oncologist.
2. Quit smoking as soon as possible if you are still smoking.
3. Eat healthy food so that your immunity is maintained.
4. Avoid outside, junk food and unnecessary hospital visits to avoid infection.
5. Get done vaccination with adult respiratory vaccines like pneumococcal, Influenza to prevent future lung infection.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 25 days later
First of all, I Refused Chemo & Radiation therapy. The 30% cancer tumor reduction (recent CT scan) was the result of my taking a product I purchased on the internet called N-TENSE over a 1 & 1/2 month period. In addition to N-TENSE, I have also been taking, for about 2 weeks now, a product called Essiac, another cancer fighting product with a good track record of killing cancer cells. Are you familiar with these 2 products, and if so what is your comments regarding them?

By the way, I haven't smoked in several years. And, my diet has changed over the past several months. For the most part I am now a vegetarian. I very seldom eat beef or pork or fried foods. I eat grilled skinless chicken now & then, and also Wild Alaskan Salmon, also grilled. I have a XXXXXXX juicer (the Cadillac of juicers) which provides me with a lot of Carrot juice along with other vegetable juices. I eat apples, pears, grapes bananas along with other fruits in addition to a variety of fresh salads with virgin olive oil or flax seed oil for dressing. I exercise with stretching & Ti Chi. Nothing too strenuous because I have emphysema with 24% lung capacity and I get "winded" very easily.

I will schedule an appointment for another CT scan in the near future with my oncologist. I am hopeful that my lung cancer cells will be more drastically reduced or entirely eliminated within 3 months.

Regarding emphysema, I take several medications for this: Symbicort, 160/4.5, 2 puffs twice daily--- Albuterol Sulfate HFA, 90 mcg 2 puffs when needed (about 12 times during day/night)---Albuterol, 0.083%, Neb Nephron Sulfate Nebulizer, inhale for 10 minutes when needed (about 3 or 4 times a month)---Theophylline ER, 300 mg, TA, one tablet daily---Oxygen, 3 liters, 24/7. A recent lung capacity test revealed I have 24% lung capacity. Any comments/suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get done CT Pulmonary Angiography.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on HCM.
Sorry to say but I have no experience with the drugs you have mentioned.
These might be alternative medicines.
I practice only allopathy and hence advised you to start chemotherapy and radiotherapy as both these have definitive effect in lung cancer.
And for your current situation, in my opinion you should get done CT Pulmonary Angiography to rule out Pulmonary embolism.
Your symptoms with background of lung cancer favour possibility of Pulmonary embolism more.
So better to get done CT Pulmonary Angiography instead of plain CT thorax.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
Thanks.
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist