Does Sulfasalazine affect eyesight?

Posted on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have macular degeneration, does sulfasazine have an effect on my eyesight?

Is there a supplement that will help resolve that issue? I took the medication for many years and stopped it after having surgery for a blocked bowel in 2013, (I had 30 inches of my small intestine removed and my ilium. In March of 2017 I resumed the medication after experiencing a viral infection that caused some colon discomfort. My last colonoscopy did show some inflammation in my colon which was done in the Fall of 2016. I have an excellent gastroenterologist who I believe saved my life with his care. My next appointment is in the month of May. Thank you .

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can cause irritation but don't affect vision

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, sulfasazine can cause yellow discoloration of the eye, puffiness of the eye lids and red irritated eye. but there are no reports that it can affect vision. if you need a replacement for sulfasazine then you should consider imuran after getting back to you doctor. I hope I answered your question . if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman