Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

148 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Does Sildenafil effectively treating ED?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 15456 Questions
hi my Dr gave me sildenafil 20 mg to help with my ED, but I see its given normally for high blood pressure, i already take several meds for blood pressure and its under control, is this the correct meds for me?
Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is the generic form of viagra, it is used for ED

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Sildenafil is the generic name for viagra. Viagra is in the same family of drug as cialis and levitra.
It is the same as viagra but just the generic form. Viagra is just a trade name-- the drug is sildenafil.

For example there is a blood pressure medication persons may know as norvasc (The trade name) but the actual drug is amlodipine. A person can get the generic for less

All of these medications are used for erectile dysfunction but they can also affect blood pressure, this is the reason that they are not recommended for use with blood pressure medication THAT CONTAINS NITRATES.

They can be used with other blood pressure meds.

The reason that they cannot be used with nitrates is because of the mechanism of action. Nitrates lower blood pressure by causing the blood vessels to dilate/widen.
Sildenafil treats ED by causing the blood vessels in the genitals to dilate/widen-- filling them.

Because they work the same way, it is thought the sildenafil and similar meds may lower the blood pressure too much when added to nitrates.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist