Does Setraline or Terbinafine cause stomach ache and metallic taste?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I currently take .75mg setraline, 400 mg pentoxifylline twice a day, 600 mg no aids twice a day for knee pain. vitamin D, vitamin B, multiple vitamin for hair, skin and nails.

Yesterday I added 250 MG of terbinafine to this. Taking the 3 prescription meds at about 75mg together.

last night I had severe sweating and a stomachache. metallic taste in my mouth.

Could any of these symptoms be attributed to the combination of medications?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They might be due ti drug combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

The symptoms you described might be related with combination of these drugs.
There is a moderate interaction between Terbinafine and Sertraline.
Terbinafine may increase the blood levels and effects of sertraline, even up to several months after you've stopped taking terbinafine.
This may increase the probability to experience Sertraline side effects including :dry mouth,feeling sick,abdominal pain,indigestion ,excessive sweating ,flushing ,difficulty sleeping etc.

If your doctor has prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications.

-If you will continue to have these symptoms ,you should consult your treating doctor and discuss this problem to find a solution.

Hope it was of help.
Let me know if you have any additional question or doubt to clarify.I will be happy to assist you further.

Regards!
Dr.Rovena Murati