Does Seroxat interact with alcohol?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I had a bit of depression so my psychiatrist recommended me to take 20mg of Seroxat(paroxetine) every night for the last 4 months. I am better now but what worries me is the fact that the last month i drink alcohol. A typical week would be to drink 5 glasses of wine once a week, 3 glasses of wine once a week and one glass of wine once a week. Also i will be 2 weeks of vacation the next two week and i feel that i will drink two glasses of wine every day. I will be careful not to drink more but I feel i will need the 2 glasses. I am worried whether my bringing pattern will interfere with my medication and cause me real health problems.

Thanks for your time Christis
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not much interaction

Detailed Answer:
Dear Christis,
Thanks for using Health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Patoxetine is no affected by alcohol intake and I do not think it will affect efficacy of the medications.

Having said this two glasses are within safe limits.

However alcohol itself acts as anti anxiety medication and if you need to up your alcohol intake there is need to review the dose of Patoxetine.

I hope this assists you.
Thanks and regards.