Does Selenium interact with Metformin?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: OK, Doc! I just want to ask you about a three issues I am dealing with now.
1. I've been taking simvastatin 40 mg 1 time per night for ten years. I feel it's affecting my memory. I'm looking at avoiding substances, primarily milk products and red meats to keep my cholesterol down. I'm on mind drugs and have type 2 diabetes and take 1000 mg am and 1000 mg pm of metformin. I've gotten back to a good workout, 4 miles on a stationary bike at my gym, 20 minutes about 4 x a week. If you need a list current supplements or other medications I can tell you this. I only take a few meds, so I don't own stock in CVS corp. If you can, give me options and risks regarding going off simvastatin.

2. Are there contraindications for 200 mcg of selenium, 1 x daily?

3. Are there contraindications for 450 mg saw palmetto 2 capsules 2 x daily

I greatly appreciate your help. I want to be on as few drugs as possible. I am a man, 62 years old Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Often diet is not enough to control the lipids.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern!
To suggest you further rather to stop simvastatine treatment or not, is very important to know the lipid profile and the latest HbA1c level.
The actual dose of simvastatine is high and as you have type 2 Diabetes, the lipids should be under close monitoring. Often, diet and physical activity is not enough in controlling the lipid profile.
Selenium can raise the blood glucose so i wouldn' t recommend it in a diabetic patient.
Saw palmetto does not interfere with glucose level or lipid profile.

Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy