Does Sanitiser kill all the germs stuck to body after physical contact?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have a physical contact with sex worker. We both had not removed our clothes. I just touched her body with my hands. No kissing and no penetration. Before this incident, there was a slight cut on my hand where I applied "medicated adhesive plaster" (bandage or washproof pvc). After done with sex, I applied antiseptic sanitiser on my hand. As the bandage was not fit completely, i had a a burning sensation on my cut as it looks like the sanitiser liquid went inside on my cut. The girl went to to the toilet just before our sex and not sure if she washed her hands now My question is sanitiser kills the germs which got stuck on my hand during contact as the same sanitiser liquid which applied on my hand might hv gone on my cut.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Safe as long as washed off

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

If there was contact of the cut your hand with any of her bodily fluids, then there was a chance of transmission of pathogens etc. However, as you have mentioned , you applied hand sanitizer after the contact, which caused the burning sensation.The sanitizer may have killed most germs upon application to your hand. But only certain pathogens like HIV, may not be killed by the sanitizer. The sanitizer itself in your cut wont be harmful,as long as you wash it off with plenty of water.

If there was no direct contact between the cut and the bodily fluids of the woman, then you should be safe.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 15 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. Ya I am worried about the HIV infection..
There was no direct contact between bodily fluids (in case if it was there ) and cut on my hand. I had applied a Bandage( washproof PVC) also. When I had applied the sanitizer on my hand, I rub it on my palm and back of the palm. That time I felt some burning sensation. So can sanitizer liquid carry the HIV virus? Please reply
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:

Its unlikely that the virus was carried in the sanitizer as it cannot survive outside the body. If there was no direct contact as you mentioned, and the bandage was applied, then you should be safe. You can get an HIV test in 3 months. The burning sensation was due to the sanitizer and shouldn't be a problem.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 50 minutes later
Thank you very much for a prompt reply. I was so fearful and worried but now somewhat relieved. I will not make such mistake again and eventhough was taking all preacaution, its better not to experiment with sex.
About the incident, I had no wet sensation so I hope there was no bodily fluid of her touched my hands. I pray I should be safe from any infection.
As a Doctor, can you please further advice and if having any suggestion. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Happy to help

Detailed Answer:
In the future you need to be careful about exposure to any infection like HIV. Protected sex at all times . If any part of the body has broken skin like cuts or abrasions they need to be treated or covered with a tight bandage . Wash with plenty of water after sex and make sure your partner does too . Make sure there is no cuts in your mouth also. Be alert your partner doesn't have any open sores .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E