Does Rosuvastatin causes muscle pain and stomach pain?

Excellent

Question
I had hypertension (150/90), high cholestoral (Total = 200) and doctor (cardiologist) had prescribed medicine for high BP (Optidoz™ Amlodipine 2.5 mg, Telmisartan 20 mg and Hydrochlorothiazide 6.25 mg) and Rosuvas F5 (ROSUVAS AND FINOFIBRATE) tablet for high cholestoral, one each daily.

I usually brisk walk for 25-30 minutes daily, but during walking Iam getting my lower leg muscles stiff with pain, also rare but recently sudden pain in the upper right side of the stomach below the ribs while walking/jogging.
I have been using the medicines for almost 2 months.
Some times I forget to take them. (May be 3 times).

I read that these may be serious side effects of rosuvastatin.
Do I need to worry about stopping the cholesterol lowering tablet?
Please advice.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer....given below
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern very well.
ROSUVASTATIN belongs to the group of medicines called as STATINS.
These medicines are in general well tolerated and more than 90% people don't complain of any side effects.The side effects like muscle pain are encountered by less than 10% people and only very rarely it happens that life threatening side effect like rhabdomylosis takes place where you develop severe muscle damage with liver and kidney damage.

It is not sure whether your stiffness of leg is due to side effect of rosuvastatin or it may be due to excessive exercises or just a simple muscle stiffness.
The best way going forward,is to get a blood enzyme called as CPK measured.
If the values of your CPK are found to be more than 5 times the upper limit,then it should be stopped.
Also you can  think of stopping it,if your muscle stiffness keeps on increasing by continued use of rosuvastatin or if regular estimation of CPK at 3 monthly intervals shows continued upward rise in its values.
If such is not the case,then you can keep on taking rosuvastatin and forget about what the literature states regarding side effects of rosuvastatin.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow-up: Does Rosuvastatin causes muscle pain and stomach pain? 15 hours later

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the reply.
I just want to get clarfied whether the hypertension and statins prescribed can be stopped for me after sometime.

Doctor treating me had asked me to use the medicnes for 6 months and then come back for a review.
My cholestoral levels have come down below the normal range. (Had checked 2 times with lipid profile test).
My blood pressure is hovering around 120/80 on an average.

The stifness in the lower leg muscle below the knee was also not there yesterday, but when I walk for 10 minutes, it becomes hard, although there is no pain.

The pain in the upper right abdomen below the ribs has also not come yesterday.
Do I need to worry and go for a CPK test as you had adviced.

Also I regularly go to office on a 2 wheeler (total 90 Kms to and fro).
I am doing this since past 1 year.
Do I need to stop this due to my medical condition?
Also,I was treated for bone TB/osteomylitis when I was young at left hip joint extending to femur.

I wil be thankful for your advice.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Antihypertension medicines cant be stopped.
Get your CPK done and stop rosuvastatin.
If your muscle pain goes away,then it would prove that it was due to rosuvastatin.
Get lipid profile done again after 3 months.If cholesterol high,then you can start again.
You can continue going to your office.
Past infection of TB has no concern with present complaints.
Thanks

Follow-up: Does Rosuvastatin causes muscle pain and stomach pain? 2 days later
Sir,

I have done the cpk test yesterday.
The results are normal with a value of 226.
They said that the range for the test is 30-300.

I have not stopped the rosuvastatin upto now, hence shall I continue to use it.
Also, I had asked you whether driving for 90 kms on a two wheeler to office is advisable is ok or not.

Please give advice on the results and I will close this discussion.
Thanks for your valuable time.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 54 minutes later
You can stop it as your lipid profile has been normal on two occasions.
You can get lipid tested again after a gap of 3 months and till then carry on with your dietary controls and regular exercises.If you find your cholesterol levels to be above normal after three months,you can start the medicine again.
You are a young man and allright and so you can go to office without any problem after driving so much.
Thanks