Does Ribaviran cause miscarriages?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
My 23 year old daughter had RSV as a three week old infant. She was given ribaviran in mist form under a tent. She is married now and has had 2 miscarriages. Could this be a result of the ribaviran?
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCm

Detailed Answer:
No,definitely this is not cause of miscarriages. Ribavirin must not be used several weeks before and during pregnany and lactation,but if this was taken in childhood,this cant have any effect on reproductive system. so she should try to find another cause of miscarriage if there is one. it simply can be coincidence and I am sure that she will have baby in future. but she should do hormonal tests,check for uterus anomalities and her partner should do tests as well. Wish you good health. regards

Follow-up: Does Ribaviran cause miscarriages? 26 minutes later
Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
You re welcome. if you have any questions I ll be glad to help.