Does Remeron interact with Melatonin?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX XXXXXXX and I take 15 mg of abilify in the morning, 1 mg of klonopin three times a day, 5 mg of L-methylfolate two times a day, and 45 mg of remeron at night to help me sleep. I take 30 mg of remeron at first, and then when I wake up in the middle of the night I take 15 more mg of remeron. This doesn't always help me in falling back asleep so is it okay to supplement this with 6 mg of melatonin because I read on google that the combination of melatonin and remeron can cause death in males and people over 60. I am a 35 year old female, but this is still concerning to me. Here is the article where it says that: http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/mirtazapine/melatonin/
Please tell me if it's okay to take melatonin and remeron together, and if so, why it has death listed in the article.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

I can assure you that this combination is safe. A side effect has to be listed any time any person who experiences a symptom reports it. This means that common drugs such as aspirin and Tylenol also have death listed as a side effect, even though it is exceedingly unlikely. This is the same case here -- these medications are perfectly safe to take together.

Please remember to rate and close this answer.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad