• question-icon

Does Prozac cause loss of libido?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Does Prozac have a side effect of low libido in 10 mg capsules?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Low libido can be a side effect of Prozac, yes. However, the dose you are on is very, very small. It is possible, but unlikely, that this very small dose is causing low libido. I would wait a few weeks and if low libido persists, consider changing medications.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Would you recommend Prozac or is there an alternative anti-anxiety,anti-
Depressant that you could recommend.
Also I have having diahrea for several weeks since I tried Lexapro. I stopped the medication, but am still having diarrhea.
What medication would you recommend that would have minimal side effects?
Thank you for your information.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Prozac has the fewest side effects of any antidepressant. A close second would be Zoloft (sertraline).

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 days later
Would you recommend Zyprexa as a sleep aid.
What would you recommend as a sleep aid?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, Zyprexa is an excellent sleep aid and can augment the effects of your antidepressant. Doses as low as 2.5 to 5mg nightly are useful for sleep.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 22 hours later
Is trazadone a good sleep aid with an antidepressant?
Is cascara sagrada safe as a colon cleanse?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, trazodone is an excellent sleep aid and is very safe.

That product is not particularly safe or effective. Colon cleanses in general are not medically recommended. I'd advise against it.

Dr Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist