Does Provera usage cause spotting?
We are trying to conceive for the last six months but I am still having problems.
Please see the timeline and list of symptoms and treatments I have went through.
- Aug 2014 to Dec 2014
o Symptoms: Delayed or Irregular periods, heavy bleeding and pain in lower abdomen which was also swollen.
o Ultrasound performed detects 2-3 mm Polyp.
o Laparoscopy prescribed by Gynaecologist in Canada but waiting time was around six months.
- Dec 2014- XXXXXXX 2015
o Visited Pakistan.
o Laparoscopy and DNC performed in Pakistan on the 19th Dec 2014.
o Polyp removed and other specimens sent for biopsy.
o Biopsy results show Focal Endometrial Hyperplasia without atypia.
o PCOS diagnosed also.
o Gynaecologist prescribes the following for a week after the laparoscopy and DNC performed on the 19th Dec 2014 :
Neodipar (Metmorfin) - 500 mg twice daily.
Ciproxin (Ciprofloxacin.) – 250 mg – thrice daily
Flagyl (Metrodinazole) – 250 mg – thrice daily
o Back in Canada. First period comes on 17th January 2015 after laparoscopy and DNC accompanied with heavy bleeding. The period ends on the 22nd of January 2015.
- XXXXXXX 2015-Feb 2015
o I start taking the medications listed below on the fifth day of period (22nd January 2015) as prescribed by the Gynecologist. Please note that Provera was prescribed to reduce the risks of endometrial hyperplasia from happening again.
Provera 10mg – (medroxyprogesterone acetate) (Twice daily for 21 days per cycle /Prescribed for three cycles)
Neodipar (Metmorfin) - 500 mg twice daily.
Metafol – 1 daily (L-Methylfolate 400mcg, Vitamin B12)
Evion – 1 daily (Vitamin E supplement)
Ascard (Aspirin) – 1 tablet - 75 mg daily
o 31st XXXXXXX 2015: Mild brownish spotting occurs on the 31st of XXXXXXX that lasts for 4 days.
o 13th Feb 2015: Brown colored spotting starts again on the 13th of Feb and lasts for 2 days.
o 22nd Feb 2015: On and off Spotting starts again five days after expected period date.(Home Pregnancy kit shows negative result for pregnancy.
o Current Condition:
On and Off Spotting continues but no heavy or period like bleeding.
Pain on both sides of ovaries and the surrounding area and lower abdominal area
Constipation, fatigue, High basal temperature, mild dizziness, varying pain by kidneys.
I am still waiting for my Gynecologist to call and set up an appointment for me .But I needed answers a bit sooner than that.
My questions are:
- Does Provera cause spotting?
- For my next cycle, should I quit taking Provera or minimize its intake?
- Considering that I have light periods right now and there is still a chance of me being pregnant, should I carry with the prescription suggested by my Gynecologist?
- Considering I want to conceive, should I stop taking any of these medications
- Could all this be a side effect of any of these medication?
Thank you greatly for your guidance.
Yes, provera can cause spotting.
Thanks for writing to us about it.
I can understand your concern here.
I have gone through your history and these are the answers of your questions.
- Yes, provera can cause spotting and other symptoms which you have, you should consult your treating physician whether you should stop provera or not.
-No, you should not stop taking provera abruptly (you should talk to your physician first) and dose should only be adjusted by your treating doctor.
-Yes, the opportunities of pregnancy are still be there with spotting.
- You should continue your treatment as it is helpful to you to conceive fast.
-You should not discontinue taking these medicines because it is most probably not a side effect of these medicines.
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- After having had waistband on, gets nauseous. Is it related?
- Had unprotected sex who is not virgin. Can I have STD if I will have...
- Had blood in mid cycle, tender breasts. Have IUD. Sonogram showed thick...
- Having delayed periods. Prescribed with sysron, not yet got my periods....
- Labia minora is swollen, painful and radiates. Noticed 3 hard and...
- Recently started yaz, got bleeding post sex, not on periods due. What...
- Pregnant. Having fever at night and early morning, weakness, bitter...
- I am pregnant. Is it safe to travel by plane in second trimester?
- Nursing mother. Missed period. Experiencing pain in tail bone while...
- Got vaginal bleeding after taking ipill and missed for next month. What...