question-icon

Does Prilosec cause Alzheimer's disease?

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: I've been prescribed Prilosec for heartburn for several yrs now. It works wonderfully but I'm concerned on how that may cause alshymer deases (not the best speller) and am I getting the foods I eat broken down for minerals and vitamins. What do you think, Doc?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar (54 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
It should not be taken for so long.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me as an outpatient with this concern,I would have told you that although there is no proven association between Prilosec and alzheimer's disease but even then chronic use of Prilosec may predispose to vitamin B12 deficiency,thus resulting in anemia.Besides, It has been associated with dementia in some cases.

So,Prilosec should not be taken for such a long duration.

Hope that helps.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist