Does Prednisone help to treat small fiber neuropathy?
Are there better treatments you would recommend?
Prednisolone can be used in selected cases.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Small fiber neuropathy can be treated with Prednisolone ( 25 mg/ twice a day for two weeks tapering Prednisolone the second week) if there was no underlying cause found, or the underlying cause is Sarcoidosis.
In other cases ( Diabetes related small fiber neuropathy) Prednisone is not used.
Gabapentin and Lyrica are used to improve symptoms.
Other possibilities of treatment include intravenous immunoglobulin and plasmapheresis.
Hope this helps. Wishing you good health.
May I please just ask this follow on question?
I also had a positive nuclear XXXXXXX with a PR3 of 17 (range 0.9 -1.9). Would this have an impact on treatment?
There is positive impact on treatment.
Hi again XXXXXXX
XXXXXXX positive means there is probably Vasculitis or autoimmune condition.
Corticosteroids improve these conditions too.
Hope I helped you. Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Small fiber axonal neuropathy
- Small fiber neuropathy
- Advanced small fiber neuropathy
- Small fiber peripheral neuropathy causes
- Small fiber neuropathy symptoms
- Will duloxetine systemic treat small fiber neuropathy?
- Wheelchair and small fiber neuropathy
- Small fiber neuropathy and dementia
- Small fiber peripheral neuropathy progression
- Small fiber neuropathy vaccine
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?