• question-icon

Does Pravastatin cause insomnia?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Sleep Disorders
Question: I suffer from insomnia. Could pravastatin be contributing to this, also montulocast Lorazapam, and cymbalta
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pravastatin not related, some of the others possible

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern about drug side effects.

Regarding pravastatin the answer is no, insomnia is not known as a possible side effect, no worry on that account.

Lorazepam actually is used to promote sleep (for short periods, not recommended for long term use), so shouldn't be the cause either.

Duloxetine is an antidepressant which usually causes somnolence, aids in sleep. However in about 10% of patients it can have the opposite effect, may actually cause insomnia. Of course one should be careful before saying it contributes to insomnia, as I said it usually promotes sleep, but if you noticed a worsening when starting duloxetine, it should be considered as a possible contributor.

As for Montelucast, it should also be considered as a possible contributor. It is not a common side effect, but in some patients it causes restlessness, agitation, lack of sleep, so it is a potential contributor.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist