Does Platelet-Rich Plasma help in healing bed sores?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 31 May 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: y husband got bedsores 5 years ago on his buttox, we have been to wound centers
without any results. They recommed calmoseptine/ no results. I have used
stimulating electrodes also with no results. What about PRP?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try PRP / Rotation flap is the best solution

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

PRP : Platelet-Rich Plasma does help in healing such wounds as bedsores, but no dramatic results are shown..

5 years is a long time. By this time all the negative points for non-healing would have been set-in in the wound.

The best approach would be to consult a Plastic surgeon who can do rotation flap surgery. This is the best promised answer in a patient of 79 years of age and 5 years old old bed-sore.

Topical antibiotics and all other local therapy would have helped long back. They are not...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T