Does Plan-B intake affect the menstruation cycle?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend took plan b because of a broken condom on Feb 15, and got her period on March 12th. On March 27th we had another condom break with no ejaculation. She was supposed to have ovulated on the 19th through 23rd. Could Plan b mess with her cycle after a month and a half and make her ovulate at a later time? What are the chances of being pregnant? Her next period is scheduled for April 5th.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some additional info.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for writing to us. Let me know few things:

1) Duration of bleeding of last period on 12th March ?

2) Did her cycle regular or irregular before taking Plan-B? Cycle length ?

3) Did she take Plan-B pill on 27th March following broken condom ?

Waiting for your earliest response for better suggestion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 12 minutes later
She bled up until March 16th. Her Cycle is regular, she does track it, usually about 24 days or so. She did not take the plan B pill after the incident on the 27th.
Brief Answer:
Extremely low chance of pregnancy. Wait for period.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again. Thanks for updated information.

1) According to her last period date, she ovulated around 22nd March and she can expect her period on 5th or 6th April. Chance of pregnancy is extremely LOW as per calculation.

2) Period date may alter 1-5 days due to hormone imbalance and mental stress. Plan-B also impact on period date.

3) I suggest her to await another 4 to 5 days to get back normal period. If she doesn't get it by this time, she must do one home pregnancy test to clear doubt.

Hope, I have answered your query. Good luck and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 21 minutes later
Even though its been a month and a half since plan b, I heard it can mess with her cycle for a few months. Does it delay ovulation in some cases? What are the chances of getting pregnant from pre ejaculation?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plan-B can mess cycle. Chance is 1-2%.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back again.

Yes, Plan-B can change period cycle and ovulation date for next 1 to 3 cycles. It causes irregular cycle or late period.

Pre-ejaculation fluid contain less than 5% sperm and it can cause pregnancy in few percentage only (approx 1-2%). In this case, she has very LOW chances.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you have any other query, I will be happy to help.

Good luck and take care.

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
If it was the second time we had intercourse that day, could the pre-ejaculate pick up plenty of more sperm to make it higher risk? I pulled out almost instantly once the condom broke and did have one on before that I removed due to lack of lubrication. The one before was on after I ejaculated and cleaned myself off. Does this make it a lot higher risk?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low risk. Do home pregnancy test.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back again.

1) It DOESN'T depend on number of intercourse. Every time, you involved in sexual intercourse, there will be some pre-ejaculate fluid before actual or proper ejaculation.

It contains less than 5% of total sperm count (NOT plenty). Therefore, risk is very much minimal to rare.

2) Above sexual activity with broken condom has always minimal risk (NOT high) of pregnancy due to pre-ejaculate fluid. It should be confirmed.

As you cleaned off after ejaculation and you didn't ejaculate during sex, it will lower the risk of pregnancy. Do one home pregnancy test to clear doubt.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 12 hours later
Shes been having some breast tenderness, light cramping off and on, and its only been about a week since what happened, it is around the time she should get her period. She normally does when shes about to start,She started getting them a few days ago, are these pre menstrual symptoms, or a sign of pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Premenstrual symptoms. Wait 3-4 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again.

Above clinical features are mostly suggestive of premenstrual symptoms (PMS) and it means that she will get her period very soon. I suggest to wait for 3-4 days.

If she doesn't get her period by this time frame, she must undergo one home pregnancy test to clear confusion.

Hope, it helps for you. Good luck and take care.

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
If Plan B does make this current cylce irregular even after a month and a half, does that mean she would have possibly ovulated at a later time? If it started on the 12th, ended on the 16th with a 24 day cycle, would she have ovulated anywhere from the 19th to the 26th? It all happened on the 27th so im really worried that it might have delayed ovulation just a few days.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ovulation date will be shifted in irregular cycle.

Detailed Answer:

Plan-B can make cycle irregular and ovulation date will be shifted or delayed (few days) from actual ovulation date. It may be in between 19th-26th (unpredictable).

As per above clinical features, she will get period soon. Wait for 3-4 days. Don't be worried much.

Hope, it helps for you. Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 47 hours later
Its been 3 days since what she thinks should have been the beginning of her period. She is still having the breast soreness, increased appetite, cramps here and there, headaches, but still no period. How long can Plan B delay your 2nd period? Is it normal to have pms symptoms for like a week? Could the pre ejaculate pick up enough sperm in my urethra from past ejaculation that same dayto have caused a pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait 3-4 days. PMS is normal before period.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again.

Period date may be altered 1-7 days due to effect of hormonal pill like Plan-B. I suggest you to await another 3-4 days to get back period naturally because she is already getting Premenstrual Symptoms. Mental stress should be reduced.

In this case, chance of pregnancy is extremely LOW as sperm count is less than 5% in pre-ejaculate fluid. Do one home pregnancy test after 10th April if she doesn't get her period.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and review with report.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 8 minutes later
She said her period should have have happened on either April 4th, 5th or 6th. Should we take the pregnancy test on the 12th at the latest since last month she got her period on March 12th? That way its also close to 7 days for either one of the predicted menstrual dates. Would that make sense or April 10 should be the latest?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do the test after 12th April.

Detailed Answer:
Do home pregnancy test after 12th April as her last period date was on 12th March. It will be worthwhile.

Hope, it helps to clear the confusion. Good luck.

Best Wishes

Follow up: Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later
Should it be on that day or 3-4 days after? Thanks Dr! You have been really helpful!
Answered by Dr. S Patra 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do test 1-2 days after missed period.

Detailed Answer:
Pregnancy test can be done any time after missed due date (12th April). She can do the test 1-2 days after missed period.

Good luck and take care.