Does Plan B delay periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
hi drs I was wondering should I worry if my period is late after plan b, it was taken the Saturday morning before I was supposed to be due. it's now wensday and nothing could it just be late due to the morning after pill?
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not to worry just a side effect

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query,

I am pleased to be able to help you with your query.

What you are experiencing is simply a side effect of the morning after pill which often occur as delayed period or irregular menstrual flow. If you took this within the 72 hours time frame then you need not worry. Just give it a couple of days and your period will be back to normal. You may experience some irregular flow subsequently but your period will be normal subsequently.
How ever, it will be best you do not use plan B all the time but rather take birth control method either short acting or long acting. You need to discuss with your family planning expert.

hope this helps and wish you th ebest.
Dr. Nsah