Does Pantraprozole cause burning sensation in throat?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jul 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have faced 4 months of continuos burping symptoms. My gastroenterologist had done the endoscopy and lab biopsies and

reports specified that I have h pylori and "Active Chronic Gastritis Helico bacteria Associated".

After that Gastroenterogist had given me 7 day triple therapy. Till before undergoing triple therapy medication I was just suffering only with excessive burping. Once triple therapy is completed my burping symptoms were gone and doctor told to eat the food normally.

I started eating curries for 2 days and then I started experiencing some burning sensation in the throat. It went over in 2 days after I just reverted back and start eating rice only. I used to eat krackjack biscuits which were made of wheat from long time.

After triple therapy I used to have very mildly throat burning sensation some times but nothing like sore throat. 2 days before I realised wheat was not good for gastritis people. So i stopped eating krackjack biscuits. Last week gastroenterologist told that h pylori may got treated because of this my stomach started producing acid excess. It will take 2 to 3 months for my stomach to adjust and suggested to take pantraprozole 40 mg for controlling acid reflux. I have taken pantraprozole for 4 days and my burning sensation in throat got increased.

I dont have any sore throat or any other symptom. Sometimes I am feeling more burning sensation in throat and it goes off also.

Please let me know if this is the side affect of pantraprozole. Do i need to immediately stop the pantraprozole or continue for 3 months as suggested my gastroenterologist. Please find my attached reports.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastroesophageal reflux disease

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

Your doctor is very good in his treatment approach and whatever he has done and said is correct.

The burning sensation you have is not a side effect of pantoprazole. It is due to gastroesophageal reflux. You need to continue taking pantoprazole as advised.
Lifestyle changes are also important to control these symptoms.
1. Avoid coffee, citrus, tomatoes, fatty food and spicy food
2. Avoid heavy meals and eat smaller frequent meals
3. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.R.K
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor,

When I asked about GERD My Gastroenterologist also told that I got GERD not due to lower sphincter problem but due to h

pylori. Thats why acid reflux is happening. After 3 months my stomach becomes normal and I will be alright. Is this true.

I also asked him if GERD is caused by lower sphincter problem then it cant be treated and life long i need to avoid foods.

For that my Gastroenterologist told dont worry for you GERD is not caused by lower sphincter problem. Its working properly.

Because stomach is producing more acid after h pylori eradication you are experiencing this. Is this true.

Can I ever be able to go back to my normal diet or do i never able to eat normal diet. Very worried now.

Thanks and Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes your doctor is right.

Detailed Answer:
yes, what your doctor said is right.

You can go back to normal diet after the treatment.

Dr.R.K.
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Thank you Doctor.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
.