Does PCOS lead to infertility?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, i recently got diagnosed with PCOS and i took a picture of my ultrasound just by the looks of it does it seem to be mild or a severe case of it?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
I would say this is somewhere between mild and severe grade. There are about 10 cysts length between 3-6mm and there is no sign of cyst wall irregularity. Also, the central part of ovaries show no cysts. So we can say that this isnt complicated PCOS and this is most common and typical US appearance of PCOS in your age. Of course, severity of PCOS is evaluated by other factors such as period regularity, hormonal levels and symptoms(pain, bleeding, weight gain, hair grow). All you need is frequent US follow up, every 6 months and consult your gynaecologist about hormonal therapy. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 6 minutes later
Thanks for your response, since i have this does this mean i cant have children ?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
No,definitely not. polycistic ovaries can cause periods irregularity and hormonal abnormalites and there may be some problems with concieving but most women can have children. and also it can be treated by hormonal therapy. So,if there will be problems with pregnancy, you will use medicines which can help for your ovaries to work fine.