Does Oxycodone cause wheezing and sore throat?

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I recenyly injured my back ( a recurring lower back problem, usually muscular in origin)
Started taking oxycodone 5 mg. for pain, and noticed that I was wheezing, and my throat felt a bit sore. Now it seems like bronchitis, with low grade fevers about 99.4.
Is this a partial allergic reaction, or a coincidence? Have taken this drug before, during and after back surgery, no problems. Going to ENT tomorrow as I also have mouth ulcers which are getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is most likely coincidence .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
As per your clinical history it appears that you are having respiratory track infection.
Since you have taken oxycodone 5 mg before with no allergic reactions , it is most likely coincidence . But oxycodone can aggravate your dry mouth & respiratory problem . So please consult your treating doctor to change oxycodone to some safer pain killer.
I am happy to hear that you are going to ENT tomorrow for your mouth ulcers .
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you Plenty of fluids , antiseptic mouthwash , Vitamin C , artificial saliva spray for symptomatic treatment & like to investigate and manage accordingly.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D