Does Oanzapine interact with Flecainide?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, I am trying to find more information about the interactions between flecainide and olanzapine. My pharmacist said there are interactions and my cardiologist says there are no interactions, yet I read there can be abnormal heart rhythms. I have been taking both drugs since 2014 and my pharmacist recently told me there are interactions. Can you clarify and send me some information.
XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that there are no interactions between olanzapine and flecainide.

So, it is safe to take both these drugs concomitantly.

Nevertheless, you should know that olanzapine is an atypical antipsychotic which like all the other drugs of this pharmacological class, can lead to an increased risk for QT interval prolongation and possible cardiac arrhythmia.

This adverse effect is more common when higher doses of olanzapine are used.

Coming to this point it is important performing periodically every 6 months a resting ECG and blood electrolytes, just to be sure that everything is OK.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. iliri