question-icon

Does Nolvadex cause diabetes in a person recovering from cancer?

Posted on Thu, 14 May 2015
Question: Dears,
My wife had a left cancer breast operation – as per enclosed reports and afterwards has been subject to radiotherapy (report enclosed). Afterwards her doctor started treatment with Nolvadex for a period of 5 years which have ended this year.
However, despite that the clinical checkup that he said was OK, he advised to continue with Nolvadex for another period of 5 years although he was advising before that 5 years would be enough.
I also let her make the Hb A1c test which shows that she is in the pre diabetic stage. Does this have anything to do with Nolvadex treatment?
Also, is it necessary from the enclosed reports that she continues for another 5 years on Nolvadex?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (2 hours later)
Brief answer....your doctor is right in extending its use for another 5 years.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern well.
NOLVADEX ( TAMOXIFEN ) is an estrogen blocker medicine and is used as an adjuvant therapy to help reduce the risk of cancer coming back after surgery.For hormone receptor positive invasive breast cancer,TAMOXIFEN is an ideal drug.
Although in general it is used for 5 years but it is not fixed and can be extended for a further use of 5 years.
Although everything has been reported as allright, your doctor is minimising any risk of any coming back of cancer by extending its use for another 5 years.
Kindly gladly accept his verdict as it is for betterment of your patient.
Use of tamoxifen is not related to any increase of blood sugar levels and has no connection with increase in HBA1c levels.
It is better to Control the Pre diabetic range of sugar levels by calorie cutting and exercises like brisk walking for 40-45 minutes a day.
I hope it helps however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (40 hours later)
Thanks Doctor. Does Tamoxifen cause osteoporosis and obesity over such a long period?

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (3 hours later)
Available data till date doesn't suggest any evidence of either weight gain or osteoporosis.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta