Does Nolvadex cause diabetes in a person recovering from cancer?
My wife had a left cancer breast operation – as per enclosed reports and afterwards has been subject to radiotherapy (report enclosed). Afterwards her doctor started treatment with Nolvadex for a period of 5 years which have ended this year.
However, despite that the clinical checkup that he said was OK, he advised to continue with Nolvadex for another period of 5 years although he was advising before that 5 years would be enough.
I also let her make the Hb A1c test which shows that she is in the pre diabetic stage. Does this have anything to do with Nolvadex treatment?
Also, is it necessary from the enclosed reports that she continues for another 5 years on Nolvadex?
Thanks for the query.
I have read your query and understand your concern well.
NOLVADEX ( TAMOXIFEN ) is an estrogen blocker medicine and is used as an adjuvant therapy to help reduce the risk of cancer coming back after surgery.For hormone receptor positive invasive breast cancer,TAMOXIFEN is an ideal drug.
Although in general it is used for 5 years but it is not fixed and can be extended for a further use of 5 years.
Although everything has been reported as allright, your doctor is minimising any risk of any coming back of cancer by extending its use for another 5 years.
Kindly gladly accept his verdict as it is for betterment of your patient.
Use of tamoxifen is not related to any increase of blood sugar levels and has no connection with increase in HBA1c levels.
It is better to Control the Pre diabetic range of sugar levels by calorie cutting and exercises like brisk walking for 40-45 minutes a day.
I hope it helps however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Nutrilite products for diabetic person
- Diabetes causes
- Diabetes drugs causing pancreatic cancer
- Pista is good for diabetic person
- Can nutrition reverse cancer diabetes and heart disease
- Diabetic cured prostate cancer leg cramps
- Height shrinking with age diabetes cancer disease
- Is diabetes as deadly as aids and cancer
- Diabetes stage 4 cancer
- Diabetes and cancer patients
- Sudden weight gain, lower back pain. Need help
- Pressure inside ear and pain. Have herniated disk. MRI and ultrasound...
- Elevated levels of ALT and protein in urine. Should I be concerned about...
- Infant has large belly button. Is there a hernia belt appropriate for...
- Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Done C-peptide test. Want to know...
- Dark circles below eyes. Have seven hours sleep. What measures can be...
- Taking immunosuppressants for Crohn's disease. Runny nose, congestion,...
- What can get rid of bad nose smell?
- Child has fever, dizziness, red cheeks, bug bite on cheek, no head or...
- Sneezing during variance in weather in Pune. Can you please help?