• question-icon

Does Neurontin interact with Benicar, Propranolol, Tizanidine, Xanax and Uroxatral?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I'm a 70 year old male with spinal stenosis, disc degeneration and arthritis in my lower back and knees. I have lower back spasms, some pain that I treat with tylenol and when I wake up, severe stiffness and weakness in my lower back.
In addition to my other medications, (listed below) I have just been prescribed
1. 100mg neurontin, one at bedtime

Question 1). Do you think this will help?
Question 2). Is it safe to add the neurontin to the other meds (listed below) I'm currently prescribed?
Question 3). Any other recommendations?

Other meds are: Benicar hcl, Propranalol, Tizanadine hc, Xanax, Mobic and Uroxatral. Flonase and Azalastine HCI as needed.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken, no interactions.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Neurontin (Gabapentin) is a commonly used medication for chronic pain, in particular when due to spinal or peripheral nerve issues. So its addition makes sense. It doesn't work for everybody unfortunately, only about slightly more than half of the patients report improvement, in others it doesn't achieve the desired effect. There is no certain way of predicting which patients it will work for, remains to be seen with usage. The dosage you have been started with is really the lowest possible actually, it may be tried to increase it if not effective enough.

As for interaction with other medication there is no direct interaction between Neurontin and the drugs that you listed. The only concern is that because Neurontin can produce some somnolence as a side effect it may add up to the somnolence Xanax brings. However for that current dosage that isn't much of a concern.

As for other recommendation I wouldn't add any other medications for the moment, not without giving Neurontin a full try. Only additional measure would be physical therapy which is as important as medication especially for the back issues.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 13 minutes later
I forgot to mention that I take a 200mg Stendra tablet "as needed" and also that I'm diabetic but control it with diet.
Question: Does this additional information create any kind of concern?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it doesn't

Detailed Answer:
No, it doesn't raise any additional concern, it doesn't interact with Stendra and there is no harm in diabetic patients (actually is a first choice medication in diabetic neuropathy).

Let me know if I can further assist you.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 19 hours later
Mobic doesn't seem to be helping. Do you think dropping the mobic and taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen would help my inflammation?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Similar

Detailed Answer:
Mobic is a medication belonging to the group of non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs, which is the same as Ibuprofen. They have similar mechanism of action. So I do not see any major advantage of Ibuprofen vs Mobic, should have similar efficacy. There are variations among individual patients, so it may be tried, but I wouldn't have much hope in any significant difference between the two..
As for Tylenol you can add it whether you are taking Mobic or Ibuprofen.

I hope to have been of help.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist