• question-icon

Does Nebivolol help control heart rate?

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi

Iam a obese guy. with resting heart rate in high
70-85 reaches even 90 after meals especially heavy meals.also diastole blood pressure in 90s with normal systolic bp. three days back I took tadalafil 20mg . and in the morning I took nebivolol 2.5mg for couple of days except for today my heart rate is in 60s dunno why usually with nebivolol it goes down to 70s now it showing 60-61.

also I have been taking antidepressants
clofranil for two days and daxid today
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nebivolol is a potent heart rate control drug

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear

After going through the medical history provided by you the first thing which I wanna ask you that is why you are taking nebivolol and tadalafil at first place, did any doctor prescribed that to you?

For your information I would like to tell you that the normal recommended heart rate for an adult is between 60 to 100 bpm and normal blood pressure range till 60 yrs of age is upto 140/90 mmhg. So according to this your blood pressure and heart rate are well within normal range.

In my opinion as you are young so instead of depending on meds you should start following healthy lifestyle habits as it will help control your weight as well as keep your heart fit.

Nebivolol is a potent beta blocker which reduces the heart rate that's why your heart rate is getting low after taking it.

I hope this information will answer your query. Feel free to ask if you have any other doubts or else you can close the discussion and kindly rate the answer

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 17 minutes later
I have erectile dysfunction.
doctor suggested nebicard 2.5mg my diastole bp sometimes reaches 90-100. doc told me to use until i have reduced weight .i haven't used nebicard today usually even with nebicard my heart rate is only in 70s.i have used tadalafil 4 days back
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Thanks for the feedback. Tadalafil is a good drug for erectile dysfunction but in some individuals it itself causes hypotension due to its vasodilatory action.

In my opinion you should continue with Tadalafil and with hold nebivolol for few days and monitor your blood pressure daily for 7 days at same time.

If Bp stays within 140/90 mmhg then you need not go with nebivolol. If it goes beyond that then start taking nebivolol and do not worry for heart rate as heart rate upto 60 bpm is normal. Also if you do not feel any kind of discomfort then there is nothing to worry for.

Hope to have been helpful. Feel free to ask if you have any more doubts.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 8 hours later
thanks sir
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello again

Detailed Answer:
Kindly close the discussion and rate the answer.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist