Does Morphine cause pulmonary haemorrhage?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Why do hospice nurses tell u morphine brings blood to your lungs whe data shows it represses
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Morphine can cause pulmonary hemorrhage.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on HealthcareMagic.
I can understand your concern.

Morphine can rarely cause pulmonary hemorrhage. May be this is the reason why hospice nurses told you about blood in lungs.

Frankly speaking though, possibility of this is very very less.

Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further.

Wish you good health.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 3 hours later
Why are hospice nurses pushing morphine on me when I SN not dying from cancer but have copd.Why are hospice nurses pushing morphine on me. I have copd
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
If you are having pain then they are giving morphine for pain management.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
Main concern for hospice care is palliative care in chronically ill patients.
And palliation focuses mostly on pain relief.
Morphine being a central acting drug can alleviate pain and gives suffering free living.
So if you are having any kind of pain then they are giving morphine for pain relief purpose.
Please let me know if you are having chronic pain.
I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 37 hours later
I am in no pain. I have copd, breathing shallow. Nurse insists I take morphine which I will not do. Do not see advantage. Is this the only way they know how to treat patients
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don't know why they are giving you morphine.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
This is really pathetic.
If you are not having pain then no role of Morphine.
And I should not be given in the COPD patients.
Even I don't know why they are giving you morphine.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 31 hours later
Thank u for sharing with me. I am afraid that their methods will shorten my life and not prolong it. Having trouble convincing my son that they are just making me more anxious than i need be. Any words I can share with him
Brief Answer:
Even I don't know how to convince your son.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.
It is very difficult to convince him.
Even I don't know how to convince him.
Only you can convince him.
Hope I have solved your query.
If you are not having further queries, then please close the conversation and rate my answer.
You can ask me directly on bit.ly/askdrkaushalbhavsar.
Wish you good health. Thanks.