Does Metoprolol cause permanent blurred vision?

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: why does metoprolol cause blurred vision, and is it permanent? please see the section below for more details. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blurred vision is temporary, due to metoprolol.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic

It seems from the history that you are diagnosed with sinus tachycardia and on treatment with metoprolol 25 mg since 1 day.

The symptoms of light headedness and blurring of vision are usually because of side effect of metoprolol and other beta blocker drugs.
Metoprolol decreases the heart rate and blood sugar levels, this causes symptoms of light headedness and blurring of vision. This is transient and will recover no need to worry.
But you need to rule out athersclerosis of the carotid arteries and if the episodes are recurrent you need to consult your doctor for reducing the dosage of the metoprolol or changing the drug.

Hope I have answered your question and the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
with regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad