question-icon

Does Methylprednisone suppress the antibody response in rabies vaccines?

Posted on Sat, 8 Feb 2020
Question: Does a single .125mg intravenous methylprednisone dose suppress the immune function so as to render rabies vaccines given 8 and 11 days later incapable of a robust antibody response? I have read that intravenous steroids have a larger half-life than oral use.

I meant 125mg., not .125mg.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Seven days

Detailed Answer:

but intravenous methylprednisone has a duration of action of seven days in a person with normal liver and kidney functions.

This means that a person with impaired liver or kidney functions will have the drug in his system for a longer period of time.

But after eight days it is expected that most of the drug is eliminated and the residual effect is expected to be low.

It will be better if you can postpone the vaccine until 14 days after taking the drug, if you cannot postpone then the decrease of the vaccine function should be minimal.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman