Does Methylnaltrexone help prevent ileus?
fiber, stool softners q day laxitive every dayy dr say ileus quit started again 3 days later happening for 2 years getting big gut and upset stmach alit. what can be done
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
As per your query answers are-
As normal conventional treatment is not helping much discuss the options mentioned below with your Gastroenterologist.
Stimulation of gastrointestinal opioid receptors can theoretically influence gastrointestinal motility directly. Alvimopan and methylnaltrexone are two drugs. Both appear to offer promising results for preventing recurrent ileus.
Neostigmine is an acetylcholinsterase inhibitor that causes an increase in cholinergic activity in the gut wall, which is believed to thereby stimulate colonic motility.
Edrophonium chloride and bethanechol chloride,can be used which inhibit acetylcholine has been reported to show improvement.
Metocloprimide is suspected to enhance gastrointestinal motility without stimulating gastric secretion.
Cisapride is a serotonin receptor antagonist that promotes acetylcholine release from nerve endings and is thought to improve gastrointestinal motility.
All of them can be used to managhe symptoms.
Discuss this with your treating Gastroenterologist.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest dosage for Morphine while suffering from liver cirrhosis
- Suggest treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
- What causes fluttering sensation in the abdomen?
- How can severe constipation with nausea, bloating and gas be treated?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and weight gain
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for hemorrhoids
- Suggest treatment for an anal fistula
- What causes abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and pain in the anal area