Does Methrotrexate suppress the immune system?

Dr. Vaddadi Suresh

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am currently tapering off predinose 20mgs for four months and starting on methrotrexate. They want me of predinose do to yeast infection and bone loss. My question is can you still fight off things like the flu taking methrotrexate since it suppresses your immune sysytem? I have young children that bring stuff into home. Which medicine is worse on your body and immune sysytem? I'm really worried about fighting the flu when you hear people die from weaken immune systems on news. Thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Still you can mange with appropriate intervention

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Methotrexate does suppress the immune system and flu is a problem. Still you can mange it with appropriate intervention.
Only thing you need to keep in mind is whenever you feel like getting flu, consult your doctor and order for Cell counts. You may need an antibiotic. If your granulocytes are within the normal range, it is likely that you recover in the same way as any other person. If you have low granulocyte count and frequently get flu, you need a change of prescription.
Most of the disease modifying drugs used for RA do suppress immune system, but most of these problems are manageable. Methotrexate is a good drug to use for few years duration. later on, you need to change it for the concern of long term side effects.
Hope i am clear.