Does Metformin cause hypoglycemia?
Welcome and thanks for your query
I have several patients with PCOS on metformin. Some of them have pre diabetes and others have normal blood sugar . In the pre diabetes person I start with a higher dose than in the normal sugar person.
Metformin brings down the blood sugar to the normal levels in the pre diabetes people . In the person with normal blood sugar, it may bring the sugar down a little but not to hypoglycemic levels.
Do get back to me if you have more queries.
Your higher than normal Insulin level is due to Insulin resistance, considered as the main reason for PCOS. Metformin has helped several of my patients to have regular periods and to become pregnant. Since your blood sugar and A1c are normal, I would advise to start with a small dose like 500 mg of extended release Metformin once a day. It's advisable to monitor your blood sugar even though some believe that Metformin will not produce hypoglycemia. If there is no drop in the blood sugar, metformin dose can be raised to the desired level gradually.
The common side effects are
Abdominal or stomach discomfort
cough or hoarseness
fast or shallow breathing
fever or chills
general feeling of discomfort
lower back or side pain
muscle pain or cramping
painful or difficult urination
There is a fear of lactic acidosis in some people. This is extremely rare in people who are otherwise well and do not suffer from kidney, liver or heart disease.
It is a common side effect and is due to a motility disturbance from the short acting version of the medicine. This is reduced greatly by the extended release version.
It is not a gastric irritant like NSAID.
Starts in 2 weeks
Metformin takes a couple of weeks to start reducing the Insulin resistance and this reduction will parallel the insulin level to some extent. The maximum effect is seen in three months in my experience. So you can check your insulin level after 3 months to see how effective it is for you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hypoglycemia causing hyperlipidemia
- Hypoglycemia caused by chemo
- Antitubercular drugs causing hypoglycemia
- Hypoglycemia causes
- Spasmo proxyvon causing hypoglycemia
- Linea nigra caused by hypoglycemia
- Ofloxacin ornidazole causes hypoglycemia with metformin
- Meth cause hypoglycemia
- Microgynon 30 cause hypoglycemia
- Duphaston and metformin 500 and hypoglycemia
- Can hepatitis C be cured?
- Does tonsillitis cause systemic infection or UTI?
- Suggest treatment for liver cirrhosis
- What causes pain in right side and pain radiating to lower back?
- What causes sharp pain in rib cage below shoulder blade?
- What causes rhythmic contraction of the diaphragm?
- What is the treatment for radiculopathy?
- Is Zentel to be taken before or after a meal?
- What causes pain in upper abdomen radiating to left side?
- How long Lupron injections need to be continued for prostate cancer?