Does Metformin and Januvia cause severe diarrhea?

Diabetologist
Question
diabetic and take Metformin and Januvia. Sometimes i have taken these meds, i get explosive diarrhea with yellow mucus. Cannot predict when will happen
Is this caused by medicine i take?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Metformin causes diarrhoea

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Dear mam, Metformin, though rare has a side effect of gastric upset with Diarrhoea. If that happens even after 30 days of taking metformin, then you need either to reduce or change the drug with other anti-diabetic drugs.
Januvia has nothing to do with diarrhoea.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can please close the discussion and rate the answer. Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Follow-up: Does Metformin and Januvia cause severe diarrhea? 13 minutes later
What else is there to take but Metformin? I have taken it for years. Also take small dose of insulin at night for XXXXXXX phenomenon

Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Voglibose and gliptins could help you.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam, welcome back.

Try other drugs like Voglibose 0.2mg. thrice daily along with or just before food. This could help you better. You can also try other drugs like Gliptins.

You need to discuss these changes with your treating doctor.

Thank you.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.