• question-icon

Does Marijuana cause paruresis?

Posted on Fri, 7 Jul 2017 in Drug Abuse
Question: I use marijuanna sometimes & when I do I can't urinate for hours. Is it the marijuanna that's causing the problem or something else?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is quite uncommon for the marijuana to do that.

Detailed Answer:
But here are several things that will!
Number one is marijuana has several direct effects that will increase a shy bladder. If someone has just plain nerves that can make it difficult to start urination this WILL be increased by marijuana. It could occur only with marijuana. Marijuana has slight stimulant effects. Generally stimulants (like decongestants, asthma inhalers, etc) have a very mild effect on this, but in some people it is more than in others.

All the contaminants on marijuana will have a huge direct effect on urination. Many of the more common pesticides block urination. Other drugs that might be mixed in. Herbicides. They all have direct drug effects that block urination. The marijuana from legal sources would not have these in them.

But marijuana directly, doesn't have this effect. Its quite rare as a side effect. Frankly it is being studied as a TREATMENT for bladder spasm.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist