Does Marijuana cause intraocular pressure?
Marijuana decreases intraocular pressure by about 15%, and my eye pressure remains around 10-13 mmHg normally. So when I ingest marijuana, does that mean my eye pressure can go into hypotony levels (below 7 mmHg) ? And can this hypotony increase the pulling on the retina and cause retinal holes and floaters?
Marijuana will not cause hypotony.
Welcome to health care magic
I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.
Marijuana is an cannabinoid and it causes reduction in blood pressure and intraocular pressure.
This action is caused by vadodilatation of the blood vessels.
The reduction in intraocular pressure is 10-15%. The reduction will not go below 10 mm hg with marijuana or any of the antiglaucoma drugs because of presence of autoregulation. Hence anti glaucoma drugs will not cause hypotony.
But still marijuana is not used because of potential side effect and habit forming nature. Hence it is better not to take it.
Marijuana is not responsible for your problem of floaters. High myopia is responsible for these symptoms.
Hence marijuana will not cause hypotony and your symptoms are not because of marijuana.
Hope the information is helpful to you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Damiana effect on intraocular pressure
- Hot climate intraocular pressure
- Causes of high intraocular pressure
- Can nasal congestin cause increased intraocular pressure
- Increased intraocular pressure sneeze
- Does crying cause increased intraocular pressure
- Ginger intraocular pressure
- Intraocular pressure ayurvedic treatment
- Subluxed lens and intraocular pressures
- Does keratoconus cause intraocular pressure
- History of cataract. Diagnosed with ocular rosecea. Eyes are bloodshot,...
- Inner side of left side is swollen. Having headache and feeling sick....
- Have blurred vision. Got blood in stool. Anything serious?
- Suffering from chronic anxiety and BP is high. Should I be worried about...
- Fell down, got some damage in retina. Having diarrhoea, sore neck. Can I...
- Diagnosed with keratoconous and advised for a corneal transplant...
- Diabetic. Eyes are blurry. Seeing things one on another. What to do?
- Child's eyes are not conjugated and looking at things normally. Is it...
- White sticky liquid comes out from the corner of eyes. What kind of...
- Seeing a spot which moves with eye movements. What could this be?