question-icon

Does Magnesium Interact With Atenolol?

Posted on Tue, 14 Nov 2017
Question: I'm rally concern about this: I would like to start taking these supplements, but I'm a bit concern about it! Magnesium 250 mg- D3 1000 iu- B- Complex and Potassium 99mg. But last time I asked you, you said that it is safe, and that's it. I was reading that Magnesium can interfered with Atenelol because of the observation even you take it 4 hours before or after. And well I would like to know if that's true, and about the other supplements as well. And if its okay when is the best time to take them? I take the Atenelol at 7am and 7pm. Please help me, thank you so much.

Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Atenolol and magnesium is ok; atenolol and potassium can be risky

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

It is very important to check drug interaction before taking several drugs and it is good you are doing this.

I checked the interactions among the medication and supplements you mentioned and there is no clear interaction mentioned in official medical sites between atenolol and magnesium supplements so no worries about this combination. Also because there is no interaction than you might take them as you wish and not really affect the effect of one another.

The only interaction among the drugs you mention is atenolol and potassium as atenolol has the risk of increasing potassium and taking potassium supplements increases the risk of potassium high levels in blood and this causes serious medical conditions if it happens. So I would say please be cautious with the potassium supplements.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification in needed on this. Also in case you reply please write down the kind of supplement in salts like magnesium (sulphate, chloride, citrate, oxide...) and potassium (bicarbonate, phosphate, citrate...) etc.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj