• question-icon

Does MX3 help in treating thyroid nodule?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I'm diagnosed with 5x1.8x3 cm. thyroid nodule on the left lobe and 1cm.cyst on the right lobe with two small adjacent nodules on the midportion of the right lobe. Biopsy result was benign. Doctor recommended total thyroidectomy. Will this MX3 help me with my thyroid problem and avoid surgery?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
MX3 is unlikely to help and total thyroidectomy is recommended

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. I see many patients with thyroid nodules every day and surgery is the recommended treatment. The nodule in your left lobe of thyroid measures 5 x 1.8 x 3 cm and is a large one. There is a cyst and two other nodules in right lobe of thyroid. Therefore clinically your condition indicates multiple thyroid nodules.

2. Surgery is the recommended treatment for patients with your condition. Total thyroidectomy is the preferred technique which has been offered by your doctor.

3. The medicine MX3 is unlikely to cause significant improvement of your condition. It will not treat the nodules completely. It is a nutrition supplement containing xanthone which is developed from a fruit. It has anti oxidant property which might promote general health. However it will not treat your thyroid problem completely.

Therefore please discuss surgical treatment with your doctor.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist