Does Lorazepam interact with Theanine and Gabapentin?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Is it safe to use lorazepam, Gaba, an theanine together?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no known interactions

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It (the theanine) may slightly decrease the effect of the lorazepam but there are no other interactions with these medications.

Theanine, can decrease the blood pressure, so care needs to be taken if other blood pressure meds are used (make sure the BP does not drop too low).

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
What would, therefore, be a safe and effective dosage of Lorazepam for addressing anxiety and tension, while using Gapa and theanine?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
initial dose 2 to 3 mg, 2 to 3 times a day

Detailed Answer:
HI

Because lorazepam is a benzodiazepine with the possibility of developing tolerance and dependence, it is generally no longer used for prolonged periods and it should generally be adjusted along with your doctor so he or she can note the dose that you are taking.

The effective dose would depend on the degree of tension/anxiety and how long a person has been using it.
If a person has been using it for a short period of time, the dose may be lower because they do not need as much to work.

For anxiety, the initial dose is generally 2 to 3 mg every 8 to 12 hours, this is eventually decreased to 1 to 2 mg , 2 to 3 times a day.

You may not need this much.
Again your doctor should be aware of the dose used.

Please feel free to ask anything else