Does Loratadine cause severe dizziness?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, 52 year old male, Work out 5 times per week (8+ years) on indoor spin bike, weight machine, and free weights all from home gym. Height 71", Weight 190#'s; I habitually took 1 OTC loratadine daily for recurring sinus issues and 500 mg of motrin 1 to 2 times per week.. XXXXXXX I stopped about 9 days ago due to "running out" of Loratadine and felt maybe I could stop taking. Symptoms: Sinus issues returning blockage behind sinus pressure "behind" eyes. Last 2 days. Inconstant, dizziness, severe "out of balance" feeling when I look up to the right. Occurred prior to workout yesterday when I XXXXXXX from sleep, did not work out at wife request. Occurred today during morning workout while spinning. Looked up to the right and almost fell off my spin bike. This severe dizziness never occurred in past.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably related to the interruption in treatment!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this dizziness that you have reported. This is a known side effect of Loratadine. When you used for a long time, the body adapted to it and as such the side effects were better managed by the accustomed body. However, the interruption led to the loss of this and will take sometime for everything to be okay again. I will suggest that you pause with your working sessions for a while and only return after these spells are no longer troubling. It may need as many as 1week for this to be back to normal again.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.