Does Lipitor interact with Prozac?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Doctor,
I'm 66 year old man and in good health...drink beer and wine but not every day...I'm 5'11" and 178 lbs who exercises at least an hour a day. Just had my annual physical 2 months ago and all was perfect...has been for years. Take cholesterol medicine Lipitor, and Prozac for anxiety and Propecia for hair. So what's the problem? Also take a couple Advil PM's at bed time.

Well, just decided to extend my life insurance for a 15 year term to 81 years and was approved right away.
My only concern was my rate for the insurance premium was a bit higher than expected and in checking learned it was because of my taking Prozac and a slightly higher AST score of 39...(range was (0 to 33). Again...all the liver enzyme scores ALT, GGT, etc were in the normal range everything was.

So on one hand..."they felt good enough about my health that they gave me the insurance, and still at a better than average premium rate" but that 39 score is really bugging me. Hate going to the doctor, but force myself to do these annual physicals, and perhaps I am a bit of a hypochondriac.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound like anything that I need to be concerned about and can I just wait until my next annual physical?

Thankyou

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be concerned about!

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

I have reviewed your information fully and an AST of 39 with upper limit of 33 is no reason to be bothered. besides, every other test is normal and no one would really expect that you are having a liver disease with a single borderline result.

Truth is that insurance companies always want a way out to charge higher. That is exactly what they did. also, when we get older, our premiums are certainly going to be higher. don't even think that increased in premium fees could be explained by this "normal" test.

Kind regards

I hope this clears any lingering worries on your mind. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me. I know your probably hypochondriac state is not helping either.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 13 minutes later
Thank you Doctor...really appreciate your concise and clear response.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
YOu are welcome!

Detailed Answer:

You are welcome and thanks for your kind words.

I wish you well.