Does Levaquin cause swelling and pain in joints?

Posted on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm just out of the hospital with pneumonia and related upper respiratory issues. The phlegm is now productive via a "Quad-Cough". I've been released on oral levaquin (750mg) daily. After my 2nd dose I've noticed extreme swelling in my right knee and a purple patch on my left foot.
I'm quadriplegic - Complete spinal cord injury at C-6 22 years post injury.... I'm not diabetic but have had the onset of severe Heterotopic Ossification [HO] over the past 2 years. Is this the levaquin causing the swelling or a new bone growth that's making my joints ache?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be also due to infection.

Detailed Answer:

The swelling and pain in the joints can be due to the infection itself or due to a side effect of Levaquin (it may cause swelling and bruise).
Rest, mild pain killers and hot compress in the area should provide relief.

Other possibility, The purple patch on the left foot without any history of in jury can be due to spontaneous bleeding. You need to get your bleeding profile evaluated to rule out any such serious cause.

If possible upload images of swelling and rash.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks Dr Tayal. I am uploading 3 images for your discern. 1 is of the left foot, the 2nd is the swelling of the right knee. The 3rd is a closed wound in my sacral area. The hospital doc called it a "Deep Tissue Injury". Awaiting your assessment.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the uploaded images. The injury at the hip seems to be a deep tissue injury. The swelling and discoloration on the foot is considerable and any coagulation defects need to be explored after proper blood investigations. Discuss about it with the treating doctor. These do not seem to be mild inflammatory swellings. You can keep the foot elevated on two pillows to help the swelling subside.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon