• question-icon

Does L-Theanine interact with 5-htp, L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question:

I take a variety of supplements which include 5-htp (a few days each week), L-Tyrosine and DL-Phenylalanine. I also drink alcohol heavily twice per week. I've just purchased GABA supplement, but I'm not sure it will work as it can't easily pass blood brain barrier? So with research I have found L-THEANINE might be good to try? But can it be taken safley with above mentioned? And how effective is it? How about GABA, I took it 20 mins ago, not sure if it will work? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
L-Theanine can be effective in reducing stress.

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on Health care magic.
1. Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) basically an amino acid which is normally produced in our brain from another amino acid Glutamate. It is an INHIBITORY neurotransmitter which counteracts the effects of EXCITATORY neurotransmitters in the brain. The GABA supplements poorly cross the blood-brain barrier (a system in your brain that separates circulating blood from reaching your brain tissue). Although these supplements are claimed to be effective in reducing the anxiety and help combat stress, however there is no clinical study done to support these claims.
Taken along with alcohol or alcohol containing beverages there is a likelihood of severe adverse effects like extreme drowsiness, impaired concentration, loss of co ordination or speech disturbances, hence it is not advisable to take alcohol along with these supplements.

2. L-Theanine, an amino acid is obtained from green and black tea is found to be effective in stress relief, the treatment of anxiety, improved concentration with minimal cognitive impairment. However, it is not recommended by the FDA to treat such conditions, I would rather advise you to drink the green or black tea rather than taking this amino acid for relief from the stress or to improve concentration.
Hope I could answer your query.
Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali