Does Kratom effectively treat chronic pain?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi I am a 77 year old male. I was given some powdered Kratom by my daughter who is diabetic & suffers from Fibromyalgia & nueropathy also. It has helped her. I have chronic stenosis in cervical area coupled with acute bine spurs & arthritis in neck and knees. Have had one kne replacement. I also have heart disease, including bypass surgery 20 years ago, a stent 8 years ago. And in 2017, March, I had a "watchman" Left atrial appendage implant. Question is Kratom in low dosages safe for me to use for chronic pain ?

Whats going on ?? Are you still working ??

Its been 45 minutes ?? Are you going to email me or what ?? So far, I am not impressed for $15.00 . Service when ??
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It’s not safe in your case.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting Healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
According to FDA There is no legitimate medical use for kratom even though it may produce some symptomatic relief. It has some opioid like action thereby it can have some effects on pain condition.
The problem in your case is that it can cause tachycardia(increased heart rate) and this it may worsen your cardiac condition.
So it is better to avoid kratom.
Wishing you good health
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 15 hours later
What about my daughter, 41 year old female, with type 1 diabetes, sleep apnea, fibromyalgia and neuropathy in her shoulders, legs & feet ? She started using a few weeks ago and has found pain relief. She also takes Lyrica. Is that a problem ?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
She can use it in low dose.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.
She can use it in a low dose.
Do not increase the dose by yourself
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D