Does Jalra cause periarthritis?

Dr. Phanindra Dulipala

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Doctor sir,
I am a Diabetic and under medication for last 10 years. I was taking Glisen 1 mg then Amryl 1 mg tablet ( morning only) for 8 years. In last two years I am taking Jalra 50 mg ( morning and evening) with Optisulin tablet ( morning only). My sugar level is controlled with in 120/180 normally. I am doing regular walking and yoga also. However i am having Periartharitis ( left shoulder pain) for last 1 year. ps inform me whether the Jalra medicine can create a side effect like this.
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Jalra doesn't cause periarthritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, I had gone through your query and understood your concerns.

Sir, Jalra 50 is a medicine that contains the active substance vildagliptin. It is very effective drug for controlling blood sugar levels in Diabetes.

As of now there is no such(Periarthritis) a side effect registered with this drug. Jalra doesn't cause that. Optisulin is a nutrition supplement which doesn't cause that.

The most probable reason could be age related. It would better to take an X-ray and get investigated whether any changes in the joint occurred. Physiotherapy may also help you sir.

Hope this guides you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 21 hours later
Doctor sir,
Thank you for the clarification. We have taken X-ray and MRI of the joint. The result shows no deterioration in the joint. The report only indicates fluid accumulation and primary periartharitis. In the internet I saw that if Jalra is taken alone there may be joint pain as side effect. That is why I wanted to know the answer.Kindly suggest me whether I can go back to Amryl tablets. I also take Karela( bitter guard) juice in the morning in the empty stomach. This has shown good result for me earlier. Can I continue this also. ps answer
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can continue the same medication

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, welcome back.

Sir, As far as standards of drug jalra, no such side effect.

Any way to control diabetes, and taking your concern about the side effect in to consideration, I have no objection for you to continue amaryl. As it is also very effective drug. Bitter guard juice also helps you in controlling sugar levels.

You can continue that medication.

Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 16 hours later
Doctor sir,
Thank you for the answer. Can you give me any diet tips.
Answered by Dr. Phanindra Dulipala 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diet guidelines are below

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir, welcome back,

Diet forms a very important part of management in diabetes.

* Avoid single high concentrated meals.
* Small frequent meals more times in a day.
* Food high in fibre content like vegetables, whole pulses, fruits, etc.

Take unrestricted:--
* Salads (cucumber, tomato, onion, raddish, salad leaves).
* Vegetables (cabbage, baigan, lady fingers, french beans, methi, palak).
* Fruits (except banana, chockoo or mangoes).
* Sprouted beans and pulses.
* XXXXXXX biscuit (with less sugar).
* Clear soups, Lemon juice, Buttermilk

Do not eat at all:--
Sugar, jam, syrups, honey, sweets, chocolates, fruit juices, ice creams, cold drinks, glucose drinks, cakes and pastries, sweet biscuits, puddings and protein powder with sugar.
Eat in moderation:--
Bread, chapatis, oat porridge, cornflakes (No sugar), Cheese, butter, Noodles or spaghetti, macroni, Thick soups, Milk & milk products, Chicken, lean meat, fish.

Eat a low-cholesterol, low-fat diet, which includes cottage cheese, fat-free milk, fish, vegetables, poultry, and egg whites. Use monounsaturated oils such as olive, peanut, and canola oils or polyunsaturated oils such as corn, safflower, soy, sunflower, cottonseed, and soybean oils.
Avoid foods with excess fat in them such as meat (especially liver and fatty meat), egg yolks, whole milk, cream, butter, shortening, pastries, cakes, cookies, gravy, peanut butter, chocolate, olives, potato chips, coconut, cheese (other than cottage cheese), coconut oil, palm oil, and fried foods.

Dr Phanindra Dulipala.
Diabetologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj