Does Isosorbide interact with Imitrex?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I took my first dose (60mg) of isosorbide last night before bed. I have heart spasms, 6 episodes in 2 months, all at night. I got a migraine right away, 50 mg of imitrex did not touch it. Now I have chills, shaking, fever of 100.4. I don't want to take anymore, any suggestions? Oh by the way I'm very nauseated, no vomiting. And I've been a nurse for 40 years. Thank you. Email: youngquistjl@ gmail.com
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

First I would explain you that use of nitrate-class drugs, widely used for relieving cardiac ischemia-related chest pain may be not rarely associated with headache as a potential side effect.

From the other side, Imitrex has demonstrated serious adverse effects such as coronary vasospasm and myocardial infarction in predisposed individual.

Also, headache not relieved by antimigraine drugs should be further explored for ruling in/out a possible acute coronary syndrome demonstrated with headache besides its classical presentation with chest pain.

Coming to this point, I would strongly recommend you asking medical assistance to the nearest ER service at your living area for investigating the cause of your pain and associated symptoms.

Several medical tests such as:

- resting ECG,
- complete blood count,
- cardiac enzymes,
- arterial blood gas analysis (alkalosis may trigger vasospasm)

coupled with a careful neurological status examination and overall physical exam are advisable for clarifying the potential triggering factors of your complaints.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri