Does Isosorbide Mononitrate help treat chest pain?

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking isosorbide mononitrate for several years now. I have five stints and had an heart attack a year ago in February 2016. I am out of Isosorbide. I didn't take one this morning. I had no reorders left I called the pharmacy yesterday. So I won't have any to take till whenever the doctor faxes order to the pharmacy. How important is it to miss 3 or 4 days of not taking the medicine?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is important but not essential

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Isosorbide Mononitrate is a medicine which causes dilation on heart blood vessels causing decrease in angina (chest pain).
Other action of this drug is decrease in preload to the heart, means it allows heart to fill with blood with less efforts. This is important especially in a weak heart.
So, to summarize yes this drug is important & helps the patient in long run, but missing it for few days won't have much effect & you can start it as soon as you get it.
I hope i answered your query. If you have any more question, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist